Did you know 1 out 5 children in the UK experiences mental health challenges that affects their ways of relating with loved ones at some point during their childhood? Getting appropriate support at an early stage is important for children who have experienced physical or emotional trauma. Children who struggle recognising their emotions often act out or become withdrawn. These responses are put down as behaviour issues while in fact they are children’s way of communicating to adults that they need support. Music Therapy is the perfect tool for children who are not ready to ‘talk it through’ to express themselves in ways that motivate them.
My clients include adopted children, children in palliative care, children who experienced bereavement or trauma, children with behavioural disorders such as PDA & OCD and children with neuro-disabilities, such as ASC, ADHD & SPD. In short, I specialise in working with children with social-behavioural challenges. While some children don’t like to talk about their feelings, most of them find music a great outlet to express themselves. Our sessions include both musical improvisations and psychodynamically-informed verbal reflections of the musical experience in ways that relate to your child’s inner world and behaviours. I also use Neurologic Music Therapy techniques to support children’s attention and cognitive developments when clinically appropriate. The goal of the therapy is to support your child to develop an understanding of their emotional needs, to build resilience towards changes in their lives and to discover creative ways to express their emotions instead of resorting to difficult behaviours.
I love seeing progress in the children and young people I work with and sharing every little moment of pride with their loved ones. I still remember a client’s mum telling me that she got her first hug from her daughter following our session after months of trying to get through. Here is what my client says:
“Our daughter really enjoys Music Therapy. We’ve noticed our daughter is much calmer after each session – it seems like a weight has lifted. Crystal’s approach has been very thoughtful, she took time to get to know us up front and has worked creatively to help support us and our daughter – Crystal’s work has made an enormous difference to our family, thank you!”
Experienced in working with:
- Adopted children & families through Adopt London South and We Are Families
- Children in palliative care through Moment-um Charity
- Bereaved families through Shooting Star Children’s Hospice
- Young people with personality disorders through CNWL NHS Trust
- Children with developmental delays through Achieving for Children and Cheyne Child Development Centre
- MA Music Therapy (Merit) Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- BMus (2.1) King’s College London
- Completion of Neurologic Music Therapy training
- Completion of Children’s Accelerated Trauma Treatment (CATT) training
- Makaton Level 4 training
- Safeguarding Children Level 3
- HCPC registered Arts Therapist (AS16682)
- BAMT registered Music Therapist
- Certified Neurologic Music Therapist
- Certified Outcome Star assessor
- Certified MoCA assessor
- Certified Children’s Accelerated Trauma Treatment (CATT) practitioner
Assessment Package £250 includes:
-consultation with parents,
-liaison with school & healthcare providers,
-3 assessment sessions up to 45 minutes,
-assessment report, review meeting & support in funding applications.
After assessment, session rates are £60 for 45 minutes sessions (online/ at my studio).
Complimentary after 20 weeks of engagement:
-Interim/ final report